If you’ve been hearing a lot about infused water lately, as well as wondering what all the fuss is about, you’re not alone. Everyone, from nutrition experts, to athletes, to fitness enthusiasts on social media seems to be talking about it, and with good reason. The health benefits are rumored to be tremendous.
But what is infused water? Are there really any health benefits associated with drinking it and, if so, what are they? Most importantly of all, is infused water something you should be drinking? Here we’ll address the answers to all of those questions and more.
What Is Infused Water?
Also sometimes called detox water, infused water is exactly what it sounds like – plain, ordinary water that has been infused with additional natural flavors. This may be done using fruit, vegetables, herbs, spices, or a combination of several of those things.
Infusing your water positively packs it with flavor but does so in a way that doesn’t add calories the way sugar or similar flavoring agents might. Infused water is especially popular among dieters and nutrition enthusiasts for that reason.
The Health Benefits of Infused Water
Unlike some health trends, the drinking of infused water does come attached to a number of different benefits. The biggest one is better hydration. According to medical experts, up to 75% of all Americans don’t drink enough water and are chronically dehydrated as a result.
However, knowing you probably ought to be drinking more water is one thing. Actually managing to do it is another. The doctor-recommended eight glasses per day is a lot for people who simply just don’t like plain water all that much. They’d much rather be drinking something with flavor like tea, soda, coffee, juice, and so forth.
For lots of people, infused water is the solution they’ve been looking for. Unlike ordinary water, infused alternatives are anything but bland. The better water tastes, the easier it becomes to drink enough of it. The benefits of staying better hydrated include:
· Your body is able to deliver oxygen, nutrients, and other resources to your various cells much more efficiently.
· All of your organs function better, which, in turn, leaves you feeling healthier, happier, and better overall.
· The condition of your skin will improve, becoming softer, smoother, and younger looking.
· Your body will have a much easier time maintaining its ideal internal temperature. When you drink enough water, you’re less likely to ever be too hot or too cold.
· The negative effects associated with consuming other beverages like coffee or alcohol are lessened, as such drinks tend to dehydrate you.
· If you suffer from joint pain, you might start feeling better, as keeping hydrated helps your body better lubricate your joints.
· You’ll get more out of your workouts, as your body will be better able to deliver the energy your muscles need to perform. You’ll feel less tired afterward, as well.
· Your mood and overall sense of wellbeing will improve.
· The health and function of your digestive tract will improve. Not only will it be easier for your body to digest your food, but you’re also less likely to experience indigestion, constipation, and other similar problems.
Infused water can also assist you in maintaining a healthy weight. Drinking enough of it will help you feel full, making it easier to avoid overeating. Plus, you absorb some of the vitamins and other health benefits associated with the produce you use to give your water its flavor. There are enough different ways to prepare your water to keep you from ever getting bored with your drinking options again.
How Can You Improve the Quality of Infused Water?
The best way to make sure you’re getting the absolute most out of your infused water is to start with the purest water possible. Both plain tap water and commercial bottled water can contain contaminants that aren’t good for you or your body.
Consider purchasing a water filter for your faucet or a refrigerator water filter instead. They’re the easiest, most economical ways to make sure you have continuous access to as much good quality water as you need.
You’ll also want to choose with care the produce with which you infuse your water. Use organic, locally grown produce whenever possible, and be sure to rinse it thoroughly before making your water creations. Quality infused water always starts with quality ingredients!